Greetings to all,
A meeting was held on June 9, 2014 at Collège Édouard-Montpetit. This meeting brought together twenty professors of anthropology from several colleges in Montreal, Quebec City and Sherbrooke. The meeting resulted in the creation of the Association of Anthropology College Professors of Quebec, or APACQ : Association des ProfesseurEs d’Anthropologie au Collégial du Québec.
At this meeting, twenty founding members unanimously endorsed the following proposal: We, professors of anthropology at the college level, attended the meeting of June 9, 2014 at Collège Édouard-Montpetit to create the Association of Anthropology College Professors of Quebec.
The objectives of theassociation are:
- To promoteand defend the interestsof the profession of anthropology professor at the college level.
- To provide updated information in connection with the teaching of anthropology at the college level and, in particular, to keep an updated list of members and their contact information.
- To ensurecollaborationwith the AANTHQ(Associationdes Anthropologues duQuebec) and the Network ofSocial Sciences.
- To promote the teaching of intercultural competencies by anthropology professors at the college level.
- To inform members about job opportunities in various colleges that offer courses in anthropology.
6. To providea forum of exchangeand cooperationbetween members, andtosee to the representation of their professional opinions and ideas.
- To provide its members with possibilities of training in the teaching of anthropology.
- To inform instructors in higher levels of education on the special needs related to theteaching of anthropologyat the college level.
- 9To provideupdated and relevant informationin connection with theteaching of anthropologyat the college level.
The name of the association was chosen as such because it reflects the desired goal to represent, promote and defend the interests of the profession. Like our colleagues in other disciplines in the Social Sciences and the Humanities, we wish to encourage the development of our discipline and assert its importance in education programs.
At this first meeting, an executive committee was unanimously elected for one year. The members of the executive committee are as follows:
- President: JeanThibault(CollègeLionel-Groulx)
- Secretary:MariaBaruffaldi(CEGEP Ahuntsic), assisted byJoséeBlanchette(Limoilou)
- Treasurer:ChristianeMignault(Cégep Édouard-Montpetit), assisted byAnnieNantel(Cégep Édouard-Montpetit)
- Vice-president (communications): ChristianeCarrère(CollègeLionel-Groulx), assisted by GwénaëlleJournet(CollègeLionel-Groulx)
- Webmaster: LucasDeschênes(Cégep de Sherbrooke)
It should be noted that many other expressed interest in participating in more specific tasks. For example, Matthieu Sossoyan (Vanier College) will serve as a link to English colleges.
The first executive committee meeting was held on June 17, 2014 to establish a work plan. The members of the executive committee expressed the desire to create and make available a web site within six months. The members of the executive committee will also work to establish the legal basis of the Association, determine the financial contribution costs for members, as well as other important rules, regulations and internal structures. It is hoped that the first annual meeting with members will be held in May or June 2015.
In the meantime, the Association wewill send you informationaswork progresses. Please do not hesitate tospeakof the Associationto your colleagues whodid not receivethis message.